Monday, February 13, 2012

Stone Lithography

Stone lithography is a process. A frustratingly long, drawn out process that takes three people in order to complete it properly. The artist (who is the printer), the sponger, and the clean hands person. We use limestone from Bavaria that are hundreds of years old and a press that's been around for decades.

This process is thousands of years old. It's one of the oldest types of printmaking that I've learned to do, but you definitely have to be a person who enjoys the process in order to enjoy stone lithography. There is loads of prep work to do even though the actual printing process goes fairly quickly.




These are my prints that I completed last week. My print work this semester is going to be themed around bird silhouettes. That may or may not have something to do with the recent ink I just got on my shoulder.

love!

No comments:

Post a Comment